That’s right, no 101 or 201 course here. Attendees of HeroConf are the best of the best when it comes to PPC. They know what they love and how to be awesome at it. So let’s get down to business.
Convincing The Boss
You’re good at PPC. Your programs are in good shape and you’re consistently improving them. So how do you convince the budget-balancing boss to send you to HeroConf? The folks at Hanapin Marketing already made the case for you. Check out their “Why Go?” page.
This is easy, the earlier you register, the better the price. My policy is to sign up on the earliest early bird rate.
You’ve seen the marketing materials: 65 speakers, 4 keynotes, 11 networking events & 40 SESSIONS! You can’t do everything so you’ve got to prioritize. Here is my tip sheet:
- Get Some Sleep – Do this before you get to Austin because once you’re here all bets are off
- Arrive Early – The official schedule starts Monday morning, but the Sunday night Welcome Reception is not to be missed. You’ll get registration out of the way (no lines on Monday morning), you’ll get to enjoy the Touchdown Club at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (very cool opportunity for someone who isn’t a major donor to UT), and this is your chance to meet speakers BEFORE the conference. Break the ice here and you’ll be all the more comfortable striking up a conversation over the duration of the conference. I’ll be there. Come say hi!
- Pick Sessions – Whether you’re in-house or agency, there are areas where you could use help. Maybe a campaign is struggling. Perhaps you have an expansionary effort you’re looking to pursue. The key here is to prioritize. Start with those must-attend sessions and then fill your schedule from there.
- Find a Friend – Inevitably you’ll find blocks with two sessions you want to attend. Happens every time with so many awesome speakers. My recommendation? Divide & conquer! Find a friend who will be in the other session and trade notes.
Before you leave you’ve got to back your bags. Here’s what you need:
- Check the Weather – Take a minute the week before you leave to know what the weather forecast looks like. Keep in mind that no matter how nice the weather, convention centers tend to be a little chilly. Looking forward to those blankets that aimClear is going to be handing out. #CloakYoSelf
- Dress for Success – Dress professional, but dress comfortable. You’ll need outfits for both days at the conference, and if it’s your style, something a little more comfortable for the evening events. Remember that Austin is a walking town. Make sure you’ve got a pair of shoes for the evenings that can handle the mileage.
- Don’t Forget The Tech – You’ll have your smartphone and tablet/laptop in your bag. That’s a given, but make sure you include your charging cables as well. Thankfully there will be charging lockers available, but remember that not every seat has access to an outlet during sessions. I personally pack a Zagg Spark as well to get an extra boost when I can’t get to an outlet.
Bonus tip: Want to make friends? Bring a small power strip or power squid and let friends share your outlet.
- Have a Backup – If your tech goes down make sure you’ve got a pen and paper handy. It’s old school, but it’s effective.
That’s your blueprint for getting to HeroConf 100% ready to learn & network like a pro. Now go out and have some fun!