Back in February 2010 I conducted a PPC poll on my blog that asked what method of PPC management was preferred in the absence of an in-house team or resource. Over 70% recommended going with a freelancer/consultant and just over 20% recommended an agency. But what’s right for you?
Freelancer/Consultant vs. Agency
Like most questions in PPC, the correct answer is “it depends”. Here are some things to consider with each option:
- Pro – Lower overhead means lower pricing
- Pro – Smaller portfolios lead to a closer relationship
- Pro – You’re a bigger piece of the pie, so you get taken care of better.
- Con – May be less accessible
- Con – Less clout with the executive team
- Pro – Greater access to resources
- Pro – Can handle larger scale accounts
- Pro – Big-name agencies have a lot of clout with execs
- Con – You’re paying more because of overhead
- Con – Might get assigned to an account rep with little experience
With any 3rd party PPC manager, consider the following guidelines from AdWords.
Hire a PPC Wizard
Am I the right freelancer/consultant for you? Let’s talk. Here’s a few ways to reach me: